QuickBooks Online vs QuickBooks Enterprise Solutions Desktop: Which is Right for You?
Deciding which version of QuickBooks is right for you can be confusing. There is a desktop version and an online version. Then, there are multiple desktop and online options to choose from. Make the transition to QuickBooks Online today and get up to 50% off. Our sales team is ready to offer your Concierge level client support. 1-877-723-7148
Intuit supports both a desktop version and an online version. The desktop version has been around since the 1990s, long before providing software over the Internet was common. Millions of small businesses have been using QuickBooks Enterprise Solutions Desktop for years and continue to use it. Currently, QuickBooks Enterprise Solutions Desktop has more features and functionality than the Online version. To use the desktop version, however, you need to install software onto your computer.
The Online version is more recent. In terms of functionality, QuickBooks Online is more stripped down. However, QuickBooks is always adding more features to the online version. For a lot of small businesses, the online option is more convenient and allows you to get more done in less time. To use the online version, all you need is an Internet connection.
When to Consider QuickBooks Enterprise Solutions Desktop
QuickBooks Desktop is generally best solution if you are a product-based business that requires one or more of the following features:
• Job Costing– QuickBooks Enterprise Solutions Desktop offers has many built in features starting from preparing quotes, using change orders, and tracking your labor costs through multiple different cost accounts and job cost completely down to every minute your staff on working on a job.
• Multiple inventory tracking options – QuickBooks Enterprise Solutions Desktop offers two options for tracking inventory: the average cost method or the FIFO method (FIFO method available when you purchase the Advanced Inventory add-on module.). QuickBooks Online only allows inventory tracking using the FIFO (First In First Out) method.
• Serial Number/Lot Number Tracking*- Lot or Serial number tracking allows your company to track serialized/lot numbers from when they come in the door, and when they leave so you can go back and find out who purchased which product, and when it was purchased.
• Bin Tracking*– Need to track inventory in bin locations? Not a problem in QuickBooks Enterprise Platinum Level!
• Multiple Warehouse Tracking*- With unlimited warehouses you can setup, tracking inventory within your facility departments and/or external locations, moving inventory from one location to another is easy and you can track where everything is location.
• Advanced User Roles/Permissions- Many businesses have a variety of employees that have a variety of job functions. With over 100 different role options that can be customized and saved as custom “Role” groups, adding users and protecting your privacy is quick ans easy.
• Batch invoicing- QuickBooks Enterprise Solutions Desktop has batch invoicing capability. When the amount and type of service you are billing multiple clients is the same, this feature allows you to invoice them all at the same time.
• Industry-specific versions- QuickBooks Enterprise Solutions Desktop offers industry-specific features for businesses that fall into one of the following industries: General Business, Contractor, Manufacturing & Wholesale, Professional Services, Retail, & Nonprofit. QuickBooks Online does not offer industry-specific features.
*Requires Platinum Level of QuickBooks Enterprise Solutions.
QuickBooks Online is your ideal solution if you are a service-based business that does not need inventory tracking options, has very simple invoicing requirements, and could benefit from the following:
• Ability to give your accountant or other users access from any location: QuickBooks Online allows you to set up a user id and password for each person who needs to access your data from wherever they are located. (Ideally for those accountants that are used to using QuickBooks Online is ideal.)
• Ability to enter transactions using a mobile device, PC or a Mac: QuickBooks Online does not require software installation. Therefore, you can just open up a web browser from your mobile device, PC or Mac and log right into your account to quickly access your data.
• Automatic, real-time updates: As you make changes to your data, QuickBooks Online updates automatically. Whether there is one person in the QuickBooks file or multiple users, changes made are updated in real-time.
The primary differences between QuickBooks Online and QuickBooks Enterprise Solutions Desktop are:
Software Installation: QuickBooks Enterprise Solutions Desktop requires you to download software onto your computer which also means that you are not able to access the program when you are not at your desk. QuickBooks Online does not require installation and can therefore be accessed anywhere with an internet connection (including your mobile phone).
Automatic online backup and protection: QuickBooks Online data is automatically backed up and secured by Intuit’s servers. QuickBooks Enterprise Solutions Desktop data is not automatically backed up. You will need to create a backup plan and set it up on your own.
Access data from multiple platforms: QuickBooks Online data can be accessed from a PC and Mac. QuickBooks Enterprise Solutions Desktop data is only accessible from a PC or Mac, depending on which version of QuickBooks you are using.
Access data from anywhere at any time: QuickBooks Online data can be accessed by users in different locations at the same time – no reason to transfer files back and forth. QuickBooks Enterprise Solutions Desktop data can be accessed by multiple users in different locations only with the purchase of hosting services.
Unlimited Free Technical Support: With QuickBooks Online, you can contact technical support as much as you like at no additional charge. QuickBooks Enterprise Solutions Desktop support is free for the first 30 days after you install the software. After 30 days, you will have to purchase one of the support plan packages.
Automatic access to the latest version of QuickBooks: With QuickBooks Online, you have immediate access to the latest version of the software. QuickBooks Enterprise Solutions Subscription allows you to get the latest versions for free.
30-Day Risk Free Trial: QuickBooks Online is available to try free for 30 days. You do not have to provide a credit card until the trial has expired and you decide to convert to a paid subscription. QuickBooks Enterprise Solutions Desktop does not offer a free trial version of the software but it does have a 60-day money back guarantee.
Sample company file Test Drive: This will give you access to a sample QuickBooks Online company file that already has QuickBooks data in it. You are able to navigate around the program and practice entering transactions. QuickBooks Enterprise Solutions Desktop has a free onlnine test drive. Contact us for a link.
Multiple inventory tracking options: QuickBooks Online allows inventory tracking using the FIFO (First In First Out) method only. QuickBooks Enterprise Solutions Desktop offers two options for tracking inventory: the average cost method or the FIFO method (FIFO method available when you purchase the Advanced Inventory add-on module.)
Batch invoicing: QuickBooks Enterprise Solutions Desktop has batch invoicing capability. This feature allows you to invoice multiple customers at the same time. QuickBooks Online does not offer this feature.
Industry-specific versions available: QuickBooks Enterprise Solutions Desktop offers industry-specific features for businesses that fall into one of the following industries: General Business, Contractor, Manufacturing & Wholesale, Professional Services, Retail, & Nonprofit. QuickBooks Online does not offer industry-specific features.
Both QuickBooks Online and QuickBooks Enterprise Solutions Desktop come with a 60-day money back guarantee.
The QuickBooks Enterprise Solutions Desktop product line has three subscription options:
QuickBooks Online offers the following three subscription levels:
• Simple Start
One of the great things about QuickBooks (both QuickBooks Enterprise Solutions Desktop and Online) is that you don’t have to be an accountant in order to set up or use the program. Whether you are using QuickBooks Online or QuickBooks Enterprise Solutions Desktop, this process takes about an hour to get setup and get your bank accounts syncing to your software (requires banks to participate and fees may be charged by your bank).
Getting Your Bank Account Transactions into QuickBooks
Once you have completed the initial setup, both QuickBooks Online and QuickBooks Enterprise Solutions Desktop allow you to download your banking transactions from your bank’s website directly into your QuickBooks account. In my experience, this process is a lot quicker to do in the Online product than it is in the Enterprise Solutions Desktop version.
Setting up Your Company
The company file set-up process is basically the same for both QuickBooks Online and QuickBooks Enterprise Solutions Desktop. The express setup takes about 5-10 minutes and requires just some basic company information. The more in-depth set-up should take about 20 minutes. In addition to providing basic company information, you will need to answer a few questions about how you will manage your business. I recommend you spend the few extra minutes upfront and complete the in-depth set-up process. The more in-depth set-up process will provide you with a more customized company file setup that will meet your specific business needs.
Customer Support: QuickBooks Enterprise Solutions Desktop vs. Online
If you need help with QuickBooks Online or Enterprise Solutions Desktop, there are several options to choose from:
- Phone/Chat support: is available for both QuickBooks Online and QuickBooks Enterprise Solutions Enterprise Solutions Desktop. QuickBooks Enterprise Solutions has dedicated US support.
- Hiring Quality Consulting Group: is an affordable option. With over 2 decades of experience, often hiring us is faster and better than going through your free support with Intuit.
- In-Product Help: options are resources available within both QuickBooks Online and QuickBooks Enterprise Solutions Desktop under the Help menu.
If you’d like to try QuickBooks Online, QuickBooks Enterprise, or any of the Intuit family of products, no problem. Call or email for one of our sales ladies to assist you. 1-877-723-7148
HOT QUICKBOOKS PROMOTIONS
*Save up to 50% on select QuickBooks Products. Call us for details and custom pricing.
WHAT OUR CLIENTS SAY
Good Morning Denise,
I just wanted to drop you a quick note re: your staff. They were a total pleasure to deal with. I had contacted 4 others re: my QuickBooks Enterprise purchase and none of them could even come close to your staff’s professionalism. Their knowledge, communication skills, follow-up and consistently positive attitude were the reasons I chose to do business with your company.
See more like this….Click here